Saturday 25 June 2011

It's Nice When Your Effort Pays Off

A good way of surveying for reptiles is to put down refugia (tins, mats, felts etc) in areas you suspect may have populations. This works especially well for Slow Worms Anguis fragilis and Grass Snakes Natrix natrix. Last night straight after work, I went to put a few bits down in a graveyard where I suspect there may be slow worms. I then went to check some others I put down over the winter on an area of heath/grassland. Under the second last piece of roofing felt I turned there was a Grass Snake curled up, I photographed this, but when I put it back under the felt, a gravid female Viviparous Lizard Zootoca vivipara had appeared under the same piece of felt. I put this back under a different piece of felt, as the Grass Snake was definately big enough to eat it! Coming straight from work I only took my compact camera, so pics aren't as sharp as usual.
Above and Below Gravid Viviparous Lizard Zootoca vivipara © C Corbidge
Above and Below Grass Snake Natrix natrix © C Corbidge

No comments:

Post a Comment