Saturday 9 July 2011

A South Yorkshire Tick

No not the horrible things that cause Lyme Disease. Up until yesterday I hadn't seen a Slow Worm Anguis fragilis in South Yorkshire, my best spots are all in the Derbyshire part of the Peak District. However I was told that someone had seen one in a Churchyard not too far away. When I went to look it didn't look promising, well managed with grass mown inbetween the gravestones. However there were a lot of old gravestones with gaps under etc. So 2 weeks ago (with permission) I put down some felts on the edges of the churchward. On my way back from work I had a check (but not too hopefull of success) and sure enough I found a good sized male Slow Worm fantastic! Again taken with my old compact.


Male Slow Worm Anguis fragilis © C Corbidge

1 comment: