Sunday 3 March 2013

And the Adders are Back.


It has been a typical Northern English winter with plenty of rain, snow, cold temperatures and wind. So a little later than last year I ventured out today in a small window of opportunity and had a nice count of 11 male Adders Vipera berus plus a single Viviparous Lizard Zootoca vivipara (which looked ill). I had these in a period of one hour then it clouded over and got cool again so I didn't go to any further sites. Chris Monk saw Adders a couple of weeks ago in this area on the 18th of Feb and Tracy Farrer had 21 yesterday. At this time of year snakes are very approachable and all photos are in situ without disturbing the animals.
All photos © Carl Corbidge


4 together
 3 together
 Above and below no 1

 Above and below different snake

 Above and below different again.

 Above different again
 Above different again
 Above and below one of the bluish snakes

 Above a small snake in need of sloughing
 And the last one found distinctive with little white spot on chin.
Same 3 as the second photo above.

A poor little lizard that didn't seem to be able to open it's eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Really great blog.I find it heart-warming that there are still guys interested in seeing Herp's in the wild,and having their welfare upmost in mind.As a fellow naturalist and keen natural history photographer I'm enjoying your reports very much indeed.You have some cracking shots.Especially liking your European trips.Corsica looks amazing.Have always wanted to visit to look for the Nuthatch,and various of their butterflies.Want to even more now.
    I got really into frogs after a birding trip to Borneo a few years back when my cousin and I stumbled across a few belters when spot lighting at night.And got into European Herps as a teenager when I first bought the Collins field guide.Still an excellent book as I'm sure your aware.
    Well keep up the good work,and I'll continue to read your blog.
    Oh I'm a fellow Yorkshireman,East Yorks is where I'm based,but I was raised in New Zealand,and returned to Blighty in 2005.We have some great reptiles in N.Z,and they are still finding new species.They're all hard work tho.Have looked for Auckland Green Tree Gecko for countless years without success even tho they are supposed to be common.
    Cheers then.
    Paul Harrison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, glad you like the blog. I have family in New Zealand (Glenfield Auckland) and therefore have always had an interest in its wildlife. No snakes, handful of amphibians and lots of geckoes and skinks that look very alike, would like to visit one day. I heard the Nuthatch in Corsica but couldn't pick it out. I think there are some good grass snake sites in East Yorks. No foreign trips planned as yet this year. Thanks again.

      Delete