Sunday 6 May 2012

First sign of Mating Adders this year

Today with the first bit of sun for a while I had a look at my adder sites. May is normally the month when it starts to get difficult to find any snakes but with the prolonged bad weather I thought I may have a chance.
Typically when I got to my first sight the sun had gone in and a search around revealed nothing. Back up the hill to my second site, other than a few Wheatears and other birds not a lot. Just as I called it a day I walked back to the path and spotted a cavorting pair of adders. The female was quite small (smaller than the male) and maybe not sexually mature. I watched the male moving around her, but she didn't seem to be interested in mating and he slinked off, however she stayed put.
All Photos © Carl Corbidge



No comments:

Post a Comment